6.21.2010

Pretty Replacement Covers


After making those darling pincushions I kept thinking about making a sewing machine cover to complete the set ;) The cover I had been using was one that came with the machine, a very flimsy white plastic thing that was now very torn, crinkled, and stained. Needless to say it was ugly. So I pulled out the scraps from the fat quarters I used for the pincushions and found another fabric in my stash that matched the reds to make the sewing cover. I lined the inside with bleached muslin and used some light interfacing for more structure since I didn't have any scrap batting hanging around. There was literally just enough of the plaid floral to make binding. So much better!


I was about to call it a day when I realized just how gross my ironing board was. I still had that interesting vine fabric out and laid it over to see if I had enough. A while ago I had read the instructions for recovering table top ironing boards in the One Yard Wonders book so just going from memory I measured, cut, sewed, and finished recovering my little board. I happened to be lucky that my foam covering the board was in great shape and remarkably clean considering all the stains on the cover itself. I even managed to reuse the cording which worked out great because I didn't have any on hand. So not only is my ironing board like new - it matches my sewing goodies!

2 comments:

BananaStamper said...

This is fantastic Marjorie! Love it! I so need to make one myself. My poor machine is often sitting with no cover at all - collecting dust in between cards....
Cheers,
Shanna :)

Sparkle said...

These are just darling! I love that vine print.