8.22.2008

Hiatus

Thanks so much for the emails and comments ladies! I know I haven't been on and some of you have missed me posting stuff. The first week and a half I just hadn't been making time to get on the computer like I used to or even create, but after that Cait has been in speech therapy and then also getting diagnosed so we've been really busy with that. When she starts school I'm sure to go nuts since she'll still be in therapy as well as going to school. But she loves her therapy time and her speech pathologist is such an awesome gal so I'm sure it's just me that will go crazy with Cait having so much to do. Until I get some of my bearings back the color challenges and my art are most likely going to be on hiatus. I will post if I manage to make anything and I'm hoping that sometime in September I can start on the color challenges again and this time with the new colors!

Onto some family info, Caitlyn has finally been diagnosed. She had PDD NOS (Pervasive Development Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified). Basically she has some symptoms of both Autism and Aspergers but doesn't fit into either. PDD is on the autism spectrum disorders and Caitlyn has more of the Asperger symptoms than the Autism ones. She has above average IQ on her visual intelligence but below average IQ on her verbal. What the psycologist told me was that basically the right side of her brain is developing and working great but the left side of her brain is having a hard time. The good news is that with therapy and early intervention she should be able to attend regular school (she will most likely need speech therapy for the first few years of grade school still as well) and with our help can learn to cope with or overcome some of her learning challenges. She'll most likely grow up to be a fully functioning adult which was a big worry for us when we were told she could have autism, so we are happy to finally have an official diagnosis and a more specified treatment plan. Our speech pathologist had already started us on a great path to helping teach Caitlyn more efficiently and Cait has been catching onto social conversation so much quicker than before. And now with a diagnosis and some recommendations from the psycologist we can change her IEP to fit her even better for school too.

For some other good news, Paul's internship has credits now so he won't be doing a full load of school plus tutoring and then plus the intership. The internship will just take the place of one of his other classes, and since he's working on a documentary he'll be able to put his work from the internship on his professional resume :D That means he won't be gone from home as long which is a big deal to me. I love having my hubby around ^_~ And not to leave her out, Audrey is doing great. She's talking up a storm almost at Caitlyn's level already and is starting to learn to count. She still has trouble with some colors, but she's getting it and is finally letting me read more to her. It was so different with Caitlyn since Cait LOVED books even at just over one and always wanted story time (still does, lol. In fact she just got 3 more new books!). Audrey is also starting to be night time potty trained, yay! So the day of the diaper is almost at an end! All that plus their aunt spoiled them with stuffed animals this last week. There is a huge bear, bigger than Audrey, so Audrey didn't sleep in her bed last night, she slept on top of the huge bear on the floor, lol. Just some of what's been going on with us. Thanks for all the check ups everyone ^_~

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marjorie, what a positive story. Having worked with autistic children, I have nothing but admiration for the work that their families and therapists put in. The rewards are amazing and your positive approach is so comforting. Both of your girls will benefit from this and the achievements will be amazing. Keep up the great work, it is worth it!

:) Marcia

Sue said...

It's good to see you posting again, Marjorie. I's glad you got a diagnosis for Cait. Now you can begin to move forward. Hugs to you and yours.

Deb said...

Great to see you popping in Marjorie, was wondering how things were with you. Glad that you have a diagnosis, always easier when you know exactly what you are dealing with, great that she is diagnosed so early and will get all the help she needs! Take care and looking forward to seeing your creations again when things settle down for you.

Jami said...

I'm so sorry to hear your going through that. I know you said it's not leaning so much toward the autism, but I have a good friend who's son has autism and I've got a ton of info for alt treatment. She sends me info all the time. I even have a site on my blog you can go to. If your interested I can email it to you. Well really big hug. Glad to have you back in the blog world.

Lori said...

Marjorie, I'm so glad that you got her into therapy. I know a few people who's children fit into this category. They say that with early intervention, these children can grow up to lead a normal life. Cait is so blessed to have you for a mother.
Hugs,
Lori Scott

Anonymous said...

Marjorie, glad to hear you are doing well with her therapy. Middle son has the same symptoms but not a diagnosis. He is too social to have autism, but has the tendencies and a huge language barrier. I am glad you know now so you can give her the proper treatment. Please pray that I will get the same. My son should start kindergarten next year so we will see.

Unknown said...

WOW MARJORIE...I MADE A CUPPA AND SAT TO READ ALL THAT! GOOD TO SEE SOME POSITIVE THINGS HAPPENING IN YOUR FAMILY LIFE!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and I am also checking it out frequently. I wanted to nominate you for the "I Love your Blog" award you can download your pic at my website.

www.kornyscrapping.blogspot.com

Amber Korn

Unknown said...

Glad that you finally know what you are dealing with. I know that for us it gave us a lantern to help light the way. You can do it all, it is amazing how much we can manage handle. Remember to take some time for yourself to stay healthy and recharge your batteries! Good Luck!

AmethystCat said...

Wow - busy time with some life challenges thrown in. Good for you for the positive outlook and glad you can move forward now that you have a diagnosis. We've missed you but you're such a good a mom and that's the most important thing!

Jena said...

Good luck with everything - life with kids is sure busy, isn't it? Best wishes to you and your sweet little family. I have something for you, if you get a chance, can you e-mail me with your snail addy? jvdevries22@hotmail.com

Take care!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Best wishes with your family, I'm glad you have a diagnosis for your little girl so you can keep moving forward. I've enjoyed your scrapbook pages.

Kelly L said...

Wow, Marjorie, I bet you are finally sighing relief that you have a diagnosis and a plan. I sure hope things go well with your family in assisting Cait so she will be able to attend regular school. Your positive outlook will really be helpful in teaching Caitlyn what you need to. Keep us informed of how things are going. :) Kel

Martha said...

I'm a lurker on your blog but just wanted to offer up words of encouragement. My oldest son (I call him Thing One on my blog) received the same diagnosis some 6 years ago. You are so right: with a good plan for therapy, ongoing interventions and assessments, there is nothing that our kids can't achieve! Just a bit quirky: but aren't we all?

Best of luck to you and your family as you embark on this journey. The ride of a lifetime for sure but you get used to it...

Anonymous said...

hey I had been wondering where you had disappeared, I was fixing 2 go & post on ctmh if anybody had seen or heard from u. we do miss u ;)I guess I missed when this blog was originally posted but noticed it when u posted ur latest today.

well take care of ur family & then when ur ready come delight us with ur art.